Next-generation reamer technology increases efficiency and reduces cost in the Middle East and North Africa region.
Our Falcon™ reamer tool is specifically developed to address the challenging borehole conditioning needs in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) market. The next-generation design is built upon our successful dog leg (DL) reamer borehole conditioning tool that has established itself as the market leader in borehole conditioning in the MENA region.
The Falcon reamer improves wellbore integrity, facilitates tripping and running casing or production strings, improves weight transfer, and reduces torque and hole tortuosity in high-angle and complex-trajectory wells. In addition, its new blade layout features boomerang-shaped blades and a large radius on the leading edge to increase the contact area with the borehole while reducing torque. By leveraging our in-house developed Multifunctional Advanced Placement Software (MAPS™), optimal placement in the drillstring is ensured, resulting in maximum tool efficiency.
The Falcon reamer tool is fitted with ReedHycalog’s industry-leading grades of polycrystalline diamond compact (PDC) cutters, making the Falcon reamer the most efficient, cost-effective solution for enabling MENA operators to reach the technical limits of today’s drilling challenges.
- One-piece construction – Manufactured from a single piece of steel containing material properties that optimally match the connection tool requirements. This ensures a strong, robust design that is properly paired with adjacent drillstring components.
- Dual-height, dual-function blade design – Utilization of active blades that are set higher than passive blades enables the tool to both condition and slightly enlarge the wellbore to significantly improve tool efficiency.
- Multifunctional Advanced Placement Software (MAPS) – Our in-house-developed software enables the Falcon reamer to be placed in the bottomhole assembly where it is most beneficial from a borehole conditioning perspective. Accurate placement also ensures there are no negative effects on the bending stresses or contact forces at any point in the interval.
- Low-torque cutting structure – The Falcon reamer generates less than 5% of the reactive torque generated by the bit with which it is used, which results in reduced surface torque when compared to similar offset runs that do not utilize the Falcon reamer in the string.
- Bi-directional cutting structures – Enhanced cutting structures ensure the tool is actively improving the wellbore when drilling ahead, as well as when the string is rotating and moving in either direction.
- Maximized tool internal diameter – Minimizes pressure loss through the tool and allows fishing of most retrievable measurement-while-drilling (MWD) components.
- Re-engineered blade layout – The tool’s blade layout offers maximum protection to the cutting structure during drillout and increases the blades’ efficiency when agitating cuttings on the low side of the wellbore in high-angle direction applications.
- Large selection of premium PDC cutters – Cutter type on the Falcon reamer can be optimized to suit the demands of each specific application.