Access multiple NOV applications and services with one login.Register here Sign in
The ReAct™ clean out valve (RCOV) is a time delay based device that is run as an integral part of the completion string where sand screens are utilized. Its function is for unloading mud and cleaning up the wellbore.
Certain sections of some wellbores, particularly laterals, require many sections of sand screens to prevent the influx of sand into the completion. The great cost associated with this hardware and rig time for installation of the completion can be dramatically reduced by only completing a short section of the mother bore with screens. However, the success of this may be jeopardized due to mud and solids unloading through the screens and permanently plugging them off.
The RCOV presents very large open flow ports for unloading drilling mud, solids, or lost-circulation material (LCM). Following a delay of up to 178 days and once the well flow is clean and stable, a ReAct™ electronic timer system actuates a mechanism that allows well pressure to flood an atmospheric chamber and provide a large closing force to shut off these flow ports. A chamber containing a tracer fluid is opened, which gives a surface indication that the tool has functioned.
In so doing, the clean well flow is now directed through the sand screens in the main bore for the remainder of the lifetime of the well.
The device is an integral part of the tubing string and features premium-threaded connections. The timer features two electronic units, which are totally independent of each other for full redundancy.
A manual override feature is provided within the RCOV that can be actuated by wireline or coiled tubing intervention. A prong will unlock the ported sleeve from the hydraulic piston assembly allowing the ported sleeve to be positioned manually to the closed position.
- Field-proven electronics
- Delayed opening for up to 178 days
- Defaults to mechanical sleeve
- Utilizes existing wireline/intervention procedures when mechanically actuated
- Large flow areas
- Multiple valves in one well
- Programmable fail-safe mode
- Adaptable screen lengths / screen types
- ICD/AICD technology can be incorporated
- Dedicated chamber for the inclusion of tracer material for positive surface verification of zones contributing
- Increased production due to better contribution from minor zones
- Increased production from improved recovery
- Increased production from subsequent water shut off
- No hydraulic lines or cables from the surface required to function
- Opens via a time delay or signal from surface
- Delay startup of prolific zones
- Isolate laterals to allow staged startup
- Water shut off after startup
- Test individual zones following or during startup