The Ultra Reach Flotation Collar (URFC) is a glass barrier plug installed as part of the casing. The URFC offers interventionless remote opening through integration of a hydraulic removal pump-open system, which allows the glass package to be shattered open by topside pressure.
When running production casing in an extended-reach wellbore, difficulties can arise because of high frictional forces present in the horizontal section. The additional forces make running casing inefficient and can prevent the casing from reaching target depth.
The URFC is a casing-deployed flotation tool that allows air to be trapped inside the part of the production casing. The trapped air increases the buoyancy of the casing below the URFC, reducing the frictional forces along the horizontal section of the wellbore.
The URFC contains a glass barrier plug and fluid is filled above the tool to surface. Once casing has reached the desired depth, pressure is applied to the fluid, shattering the glass and allowing the well to be conditioned. The patented laminated-glass material profiles a secure, noncorrodible seal under high temperatures and axial loads and is capable of withstanding extreme levels of differential pressure.
We provide the flotation collar and help determine the optimal install location based on well trajectory, casing design, and fluid types. This allows us provide estimates on potential improvements and an idea of how much applied pressure is required to activate the tool once it is installed.
- Full casing ID after opening
- ISO 14310 V6 tested
- Easy removal compared to deep-set/horizontal wireline plugs
- Hydraulic opening through differential pressure across a predetermined shear ring
- High debris tolerance – 5 to 10 mm is the range of diameter of the particles after glass barrier is shattered
- Installed as part of the casing to run the completion string to the extended reach, reducing rig time
- No debris sub required due to small debris
- Long laterals
- Laterals where casing is difficult to achieve total depth