Our suite of wireline pressure control equipment is designed, manufactured, and tested in accordance with API 6A or API 5CT. Selected new designs are tested to destruction or are gas tested, and they are designed using the latest finite element analysis software. Products range from simple 3,000-psi-rated pack-offs to 20,000-psi-rated pressure control strings. New subsea crown plug designs are subjected to rigorous PR2 testing and are manufactured from corrosion-resistant alloys when required. We offer a fast turnaround crossover manufacturing system in recognition of the need for rapid response with this product.
Electric-line and slickline pressure control equipment
We design and manufacture ASEP™ and Elmar™ pressure control equipment (PCE) and accessories for slickline and braided cable operations. Our pressure control equipment is fully traceable and certified by independent authorities.
Our PCE strings are designed for complete well pressure control during electric/stranded line operations on a live well. They are available with 5,000-, 10,000-, 15,000-, and 20,000-psi working pressure ratings and in standard and H2S service. Inside diameters (IDs) range from 2½ to 6⅜ in.
- The Enviro™ grease injection control head creates a seal around a moving wireline, along intervention access to wells under pressure.
- The cable cutter sub (CCS) is designed for use in the event of wire becoming jammed in the grease injection flow tubes to the extent that no wireline movement (upwards or downwards) is possible. The wireline can be cleanly cut well above the wireline valve.
- The ball check valve is a safety device for installation below the grease injection control head. It seals off the well in the event of the cable being broken/pulled out of the grease injection head.
- The tool catcher is used to catch and hold the tool safely during pressure testing and in the event of the cable being inadvertently pulled off at surface. This prevents a possible fishing job.
- Lubricators are used to insert and retrieve a tool string on a well under pressure.
- Our hydraulic tool trap with external indicator protects the wellbore from inadvertent tool pull-offs.
- The quick test sub is designed to save substantial rig time while pressure testing the WPCE string in multiple run operations.
- Our lightweight wireline valves provide positive protection during well service operations and when operating with slickline, braided wireline, and electric line. Multi-line ram seals enable use of the same seal configuration for electric line and slickline.
- The pump-in sub allows introduction of high volumes of fluid into the well via a hammer lug-type connection.
- Our wellhead adapter flange provides a means of safely connecting the wireline PCE string to the wellhead.
A full range of slickline pressure control equipment is available, including wellhead adapters, wireline valves, lubricators, stuffing boxes, and other accessories. Specifications vary from the basic 2½-in. ID, 5,000-psi working pressure string with a manual wireline valve to 15,000-psi working pressure strings with triple and quad hydraulically operated wireline valves that are up to 9 in. in bore.
Horizontal tree isolation plugs
Compared to conventional trees, horizontal spool trees save time and money during workovers and completions. This technology has proven itself in the North Sea and Gulf of Mexico as well as offshore Australia and Africa.
The Elmar longitudinal seal bore (LSB) lock-mandrel upper isolation plug is a high-pressure, high-temperature elastomeric sealing unit with a no-go lock system that positively aligns the plug within its corresponding nipple profile. It is designed to hold pressure from below by key/nipple engagement and to hold pressure from above by no-go/nipple arrangement.
Operating the Elmar plug is very simple; it is set with an Elmar running tool that is attached to the plug and lowered into the nipple. Fluid pressure is applied above the plug, helping energize the metal seal’s nose. When fully energized, the metal seal no-go's on the hanger nipple profile ensure the correct alignment of the key and key profile. While fluid pressure is maintained, downward jarring action is applied, driving the expander sleeve downward, pushing the keys outward into the nipple profile, and locking the plug into place. Upward jarring releases the running tool, which also inhibits premature release of the plug, while a tell-tale pin confirms the setting status. The taper-on keys and expander sleeve act as the primary hold-down mechanism. Unidirectional check bullets act as the secondary hold-down mechanism and a measure against vibratory movement. Releasing the plug requires deforming the check mechanism to allow the expander sleeve to move upwards to retract the keys.
Our lightweight hay pulleys are designed for standard and heavy-duty operations with slickline, wire, and braided-line sizes ranging from 0.092- to 15/32-in. diameter and line pulls of up to 19,000 lb. The CE-marked, ATEX-certified pulleys use composite material with excellent wear characteristics and helps to reduce metal-to-metal damage on expensive wirelines. The pulleys are opened by simply removing two quick-release pins, which allows one of the side plates to be removed. The sheave pin has a fixture to accept a lightweight floor stand if required.
To simplify and speed up maintenance of Elmar wellhead pressure control equipment, a range of specialists’ hand tools are available, packaged (upon request) in custom-made tool boxes.
As part of efforts to ensure that NOV continues to manufacture only products of the highest quality and dependability, we have a policy of the discontinuance of certain products to make way for superior designs. The manufacture of most Bowen, Hydrolex, Eastern Oil Tools, and SSR pressure control and control module assets ceased on January 1, 2010, followed by the cessation of the manufacture of KEA brand pressure control equipment on June 1, 2011. It is our policy to provide spares support wherever possible for products until 10 years from product discontinuance. Many features of legacy designs are now incorporated into Elmar equipment. Please contact your nearest sales office for further information.